About the BookThe book Statistics, in two volumes, provides a balanced and rigorous coverage of all the topics taught to the students of economics, statistics, commerce and the physical sciences. It presents a thorough treatment of statistical methods in such a way that a previous acquaintance with mathematics and statistics is not necessary. For the students of non-mathematical background, all the mathematical tools such as permutation, combination, set theory, factorial, etc. required for the study of probability have been properly dealt with. As far as possible, mathematical complexity has been avoided and wherever desirable, the notations and terminologies have been clearly explicated with a detailed explanation of mathematical steps involved. Numerous real-world examples and applications have been provided throughout the book to reinforce basic statistical concepts. This book follows a concept-example-exercise approach in all chapters for better understanding of the topics covered.
Some of the special features of this book are:
• Solid organisation, with presentation of information in a logical, easy-to-grasp sequence, incorporating the latest trends in the field of statistics.
• Application-oriented content, step-by-step explanation of basic concepts, lucidity of style and simplicity of expression for better understanding of the subject.
• Exhaustive and comprehensive coverage of all the topics taught at undergraduate and postgraduate levels in Indian universities.
• A large number of illustrated solved examples to give an insight into the basic concepts and a better understanding of the subject.
• Rich and properly graded problem sets under the Exercises for Self Assessment.
• An exclusive chapter on modern ideas of Statistical Quality Control to provide up-to-date coverage of this popular and significant trend in the field of quality control.
• Inclusion of problems from the latest examination papers of Indian universities and professional courses like C.A., I.C.W.A., M.B.A., etc.About the Author/sK.R. Gupta is a well-known economist. He has studied Mathematics, Mathematical Statistics as well as Economic Statistics. He has published over twenty books including Economics of Development and Planning; World Trade Organisation (3 vols.); Studies in Indian Economy (3 vols.); Special Economic Zones: Issues, Laws and Procedures (2 vols.); Indo-U.S. Civil Nuclear Deal (4 vols.); Inflation: Issues and Concerns; Interest Rates and Inflation and Global Financial Crisis (3 vols.). Besides, he has contributed more than hundred papers in reputed journals, being published in India and abroad. He had been teaching postgraduate classes and guiding research for about two decades in the University of Jammu and Kurukshetra University. He has also worked as an economist in private as well as in public sector.