About the BookThe book Mathematical Statistics provides a balanced and rigorous coverage of all the topics taught in mathematical statistics to the students of economics, statistics, commerce and the physical sciences. It presents a thorough treatment of statistical methods using mathematics in such a way that a previous acquaintance with mathematics and statistics is not necessary. For the students of non-mathematical background, all the mathematical tools such as permutation, combination, set theory, factorial, etc. required for the study of probability have been properly dealt with. As far as possible, mathematical complexity has been avoided and wherever desirable, the notations and terminologies have been clearly explained with detailed explanation of mathematical steps involved. Numerous real-world examples and applications have been provided throughout the book to reinforce basic mathematical and statistical concepts. The book follows a concept-example-exercise approach in all chapters for better understanding of the topics covered.
Some of the special features of the book are:
• Solid organization, presenting information in a logical, easy-to-grasp sequence, incorporating the latest trends in the field of mathematical statistics.
• Application-oriented content, step-by-step explanation of basic concepts, lucidity of style and simplicity of expression for better understanding of the subject.
• Exhaustive and comprehensive coverage of all the topics taught at under-graduate and post-graduate levels in Indian universities.
• A large number of illustrated solved examples to give an insight into the basic concepts and a better understanding of the subject.
• Rich, properly graded problem sets under the Exercises for Self Assessment.
• A full chapter on modern ideas of Elements of Stochastic Processes to provide up-to-date coverage of the popular and significant mathematical tools involving probability and time series.
• Solved problems from the latest examination papers of Indian universities and professional courses like C.A., I.C.W.A., M.B.A., etc.About the Author/sK.R. Gupta is a well-known Economist. He has studied Mathematics as well as Mathematical Statistics. He has published over twenty books, and contributed more than hundred papers in reputed journals, being published in India and abroad. The books written by him include Advanced Microeconomics (2 vols.); Advanced Macroeconomics (2 vols.); Economic Growth Models; Global Financial Crisis
(3 vols.); International Economics (2 vols.); Advanced Economics of Development
(2 vols.); Statistics (2 vols.); Practical Statistics (2 vols.); Probability Theory: The Logic of Science; and CAT Cracker: Quantitative Aptitude. His latest edited books are Rural Development in India
(4 vols.); Indian Economic Policies and Data (co-edited); and A Treatise on Probability.
Dr. Gupta had been teaching postgraduate classes, and guiding research for about two decades in the University of Jammu and Kurukshetra University. He has also worked as an Economist in private as well as in public sector. His last assignment was as Economic Advisor to the Modi Enterprises.