About the BookEnvisioning nurturing of students to become able, globally competitive, ethical leaders is the prime challenge before Indian universities and colleges. The book identifies several challenges facing higher and technical education in India. Some of them are:
1. Why universities and colleges need revamping?
2. Why universities can no longer be “ivory Towers”?
3. Why India needs world-class universities and colleges?
4. Why should Indian universities produce leaders of global standards?
5. How can governance and leadership of universities and colleges be improved?
6. What are the changing roles of institutions in changing times?
7. Why is research vital to effective teaching?
8. What are the risks in privatization and how to guard against them?
9. Why and how to make universities enterprising?
10. Why India needs international standards in accreditation?
11. Why thousands of students go abroad?
12. What is a research park, and how it improves the quality of education?
13. How to use autonomy effectively?
14. What is the role of alumni in institution building?
The book addresses these challenges. Many universities and colleges have passion and are working on improving their global standing. They have the potential and resources, but they do not have proper policies and practices, systems and procedures. Now, it is not only a matter of putting more money, constructing proper infrastructure and appointing more men on the job. It is a matter of adopting current strategies. They can find the strategies in the book.
Pressures are mounting on colleges to improve educational standard and produce not simple graduates but leaders. The book prescribes nurturing an ambience of innovation, entrepreneurship, excellence and integrity to transform India into a developed nation by 2020. Reformation in classroom teaching is needed but is not enough. It is essential to have on campus a multifaceted infrastructure like entrepreneurship centre, innovation centre, patent and Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) centre, research park, knowledge transfer centre, continuation education centre, alumni house, etc. From world experience this is found to boost industrial and economic growth, besides raising educational attainment. But, how to establish such centres? You will get the answer in this book.
Universities and colleges will have now to be enterprising in character so as to enlarge the imagination and creative thinking of students. If universities produce influential, charismatic leaders with creative and innovative minds, they can create a lot of positive change in people’s thinking and take India to greater heights. This is the role of universities and colleges in creating brave new India of tomorrow.About the Author/sProf B.M. Naik, is the founder principal of Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering & Technology at Nanded. He is civil engineer by profession. He received his higher education in Pune and Germany. He has travelled widely, to UK, US, Germany and China, to participate in academic meets. He was Dean, Engineering, for several years. He is an author of four books and more than hundred articles. One of his articles was awarded a prize by the Institution of Engineers, (India). Currently, he is a mentor to several colleges and universities. He is board member of Government College of Engineering Aurangabad. He was felicitated by his alma mater, Government College of Engineering, Poona with “Lifetime Achievement Award” for performing as an outstanding “Institution Builder.”